Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday's Update

Cora is doing ok. She seems a little drugged. She isn't fussy and seems to feel OK, but is dazed and confused and doesn't have too much energy. Today we went to the clinic for an injection of chemo. We filled out tons of paperwork, checked her blood counts, got the injections, and waited watching Little Mermaid for an hour to be sure she didn't have an allergic reaction to the drug. The good news is that this medication is one that causes many patients a rash, hives, or other skin reaction. Cora hasn't reacted as of yet. The news that isn't so exciting is that her white blood cells, hemoglobin, and platelette counts are all very very low. This is partially from the leukemia and partly because the chemo drugs are lowering them. They are particularly concerned about her platelettes. (I don't know how to spell that word.)We have to take her back to the hospital on Saturday to have her blood rechecked and at that time if it is still low she will receive a platelette transfusion. Please pray that her the counts will raise on their own. Having a low white blood cell count also means that right now is not a good time for her to go anywhere or be exposed to anyone that could possibly be sick. This is the part that makes mommy crazy. I am so worried about her catching a secondary infection that I don't want to take her anywhere or anyone to touch her. I worry that Cade may bring something home from school. Pray that I can chill out!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Mandy
I am praying WITHOUT ceasing!
I love y'all!
Amy Perry

teannahall said...

Your instincts will keep her safe, you will be able to protect her. We're thinking of you every second.
Teanna

Unknown said...

Dear Mandy,
You have every right to be worried and you don't need to feel you need to chill out in my opinion. Do you think you could ask the doctors if it might be a good idea to keep Cade away from Cora at least until the white blook count is up? I know that's impossible at home but should he stay with Laurie or your sister or my sister??? I know that is a hard decision to make but Cora's protection is your first priority now. You know it is impossible to keep siblings apart in the same home. I hope I don't stress you out making that suggestion. It was just my initial reaction. I am also praying just about without ceasing for each of you! May God be your Rock, your Strong Tower, Your very present help in times of trouble. May He guide you day to day in every situation large or small and may you continually feel His presence. May He be to your Shield. May His peace hover over your entire family. May He be the Lifter of your heads! We love you! Mary Jane

Unknown said...

Mandy,
I spoke to your Dad tonight. I have taught Sontown at Crossroads during the same hour as he does for about seven years. My son, Grant, is currently being treated for ALL. I'm so sorry Cora and all of you have to go through this, too. But I know one thing you can be certain about: God is with you each minute. He has been so good to us. When Grant was first diagnosed, the passage of scripture that came to my mind was Isaiah 40:28-31. I know you are overwhelmed with everything right now. I'm praying for your strength for each day. I'd be glad to talk if you need someone to talk to who knows what you're going through. Your Dad has my phone numbers. Grant's web site is www.caringbridge.org/visit/grant-gram
Heather Gardner