This is my grandfather, William Cherry. He was born on Jan.22, 1919 and he went to heaven on October 10, 2011. He was such a cool guy.
He jumped out of planes in World War 2.
He put up with my grandmother for 67 long years of marriage!
He loved hunting and fishing.
He loved his bird dogs.
He used to have a porch with green turf carpeting.
And he hated gumballs in his yard.
The last five years were rough on him.
He was confined to a wheelchair, although he fought right up until the end to be rid of it.
After a stroke he lost most of his speech and could not communicate.
He had to eat through a feeding tube.
But he never complained.
He wasn't grouchy about what was lost, but often seemed to be lost in memories. Probably memories of better health, younger days.
All my kids know of him, was the wheelchair version.
But the last few days I've recapped to them many fond stories and memories of him. When we were little he used to take us in the basement and let us crush old cans with his can crusher so that he could recycle them for a penny each.
He could make us laugh for hours by rolling up an old newspaper and playing "the swatting game" with us. He always had time to help someone out.
Minutes after I heard of his passing, Cade and Cora and I were chatting and I said, "What do you think he's doing in Heaven right now?" Cora said, "probably running! He's probably glad to be out of that wheelchair!" I know she's right. No more pain, no more slurred speech, no more dependence on others for a meal, a bath, or a change of clothes.
Because he was a World War 2 veteran, a line of soldiers waited for us at the cemetery. They lined the walk way, offered a 21 gun salute, gave their words of gratitude for their fallen comrade, and folded the flag from the top of the casket and presented it to my grandmother. It was so special, and so him. He would have loved it!
Clara and I were the only ones that flew to Indiana for the funeral last week. Cade and Cora made cards for both he and my grandmother. Cade said it best, "We love you great grandpa! You were a good man! Have a good time in Heaven!"
We'll see you soon!


3 comments:
A fitting tribute to Dad! I love this!!!
So sweet Mandy.
very sweet. sorry for your family's loss.
Post a Comment