Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Pinewood Cutie

Today Cade's boyscout troop had their Pinewood Derby time trials. Rob has been very busy trying to get his baseball team together, so poor Cade has been stuck with the girls the majority of the time. Today at the Derby trials I realized I'm a much better mommy than I am a daddy! We are brand spankin' new to this boyscout thing and obviously have a lot to learn. Rob helped Cade carve and sand his car exactly the way Cade chose to. Then I found some acrylic paint in the drawer and let him choose his colors and paint it himself. Rob added the wheels and we thought we were good to go! Little did we know although it's a "kids" race, there is no way on Earth that the kids made these cars!!! We get there for the "weigh in." We give them Cade's name and they weigh his car. The check in guy's exact words were "whoa! this car needs to weigh twice as much as it has!!! It has NO extra WEIGHT!"

Added weight????? Come on, how were we to know there was a weight range? It's like unwritten boyscout law or something! So my poor son turns five shades of red and starts to blush! I put Cora in charge of the baby and start to frantically look for pennies and glue to "add weight" to his car so that he can enter the race all the while assuring my son that I've got this! Luckily, a co-scout's dad to whom I'm eternally gratefully stepped in and found the "just in case an unorganized mom brings the boyscout" box and finds a weight, coils it, and duck tape's it to Cade's already homely looking Car to bring it up to exactly five grams on the scale! He didn't win, but his car was fast! And he gets to go to the next level race in two weeks. We can't change the car, but we will at least find a way to eliminate the duct tape! But thanks to the two oldest boyscouts in the history of the world I am now "schooled" on EXACTLY how to create the perfect derby car! Just wait until next year!!!!!


his car may have duct tape on it but my boyscout DEFINITELY would have won the cutest boy award. I noted that Boy scouts don't always seem to have the looks!

Cade watching is car lose! :(

He was all smiles after the race because then his car was winning! He raced the second place winner the first heat! :(


Perry the Platypus car!
some people are overachievers!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Cade and Rob actually had the perfect place to add weight to his his car at the last moment- in the center, not affecting the aerodynamics. It's all about the learning and figuring out a better plan for next time! Wish we could have been there. Love you guys,
Pop

The Broeker Family said...

We have our first Pinewood Derby April 29th. We watched the movie Down & Derby last weekend. Kyle loved it. If you haven't seen it...I definitely recommend watching it now that you've been through your first Pinewood.

Unknown said...

We have the movie Down and Derby!!! His den leader gave it to them for Christmas! It's super cute!!! Too bad we missed the weight thing there too!