Saturday, November 13, 2010

Cora's 2 year Cancerversary


Two years ago tonight we sat in a hospital room digesting the news that our 2 year old had cancer. Here we are 2 years later still with the same questions. How did this happen? Why did this happen? It just seems to defy the laws of childhood. But now we are "used" to it. We're accustomed to the terminology that once seemed so confusing, the list of medications that seemed so overwhelming, and the side effects that seemed so impossible to deal with. We are dealing with it daily. We are now well aware of the world that is childhood cancer. We still HATE it, but we're not as afraid of it. Leukemia and cancer are common everyday words at our house. It doesn't freak me out when I'm giving Cora a bath and I see her scar or feel her port under the surface of her skin. When I see bald kids with no eyebrows at clinic I think they're cute, not scary or unnatural. We've learned a lot, and in many ways, I think we're better off for it.

I will never know why, but that's OK with me. I do know that God never promises us an easy life. He never promises that there won't be bumps in our path. He does however promise us eternal life if we seek Him first. (Matthew 6:33) He promises that he will never leave us and never forsake us. (Hebrews 13: 5-6) So I don't understand cancer, it's much bigger and more complicated than me. But I have a God who is much bigger and more complicated than cancer! He loves me and my daughter. Knowing that helps me sleep at night :).

We've only got 3 more months of treatment and then Cora is officially a SURVIVOR! That is something to be thankful for!

3 comments:

ginaburch said...

woohoo! we love cora and are still praying. praise the Lord!!

Susan said...

So awesome!

erik and kristi said...

AMAZING!! We love you, Cora!