Thursday, December 16, 2010

Happy Birthday to me!

OK, so today is my birthday. And please, I'm not telling you this so that all 5 of you will call and sing to me and wish me a happy birthday. I'm really over it! Being 29 for the fifth time in a row isn't all it's cracked up to be. Last night Cora asked me, "mommy, is tomorrow the day you are going to be as old as the hills and twice as dusty?" Yes, Cora, yes it is!

Anyway, I love my husband very much! Please keep that in mind as you read on. He has his faults as do we all and I always tell him he's lucky that he has me because no one else would put up with his quirky, Argentine/Italian/Spanish ways. He's different, but he's a great husband and daddy and would do anything for us! Having said that, I never knew he was a gamer until recently. Cade finally received a nintendo DSI for his seventh birthday in november. Apparently according to Cade every other kid on the block must have received one for their third birthday. He'd waited a long time and he got it... along with 2 games. Then a few weeks later Rob brings a Pokemon DSI game home with him one afternoon "for Cade to play." He didn't purchase this game, but rather "found it in his desk from the first day of school when some student left it behind it and never reclaimed it." So whatever... Cade had another game until someone came looking for it. Rob and Cade are now obsessed with Pokemon. It's an entire language in itself and although we have limits on DSI time for Cade, I have occassionally found Rob playing "cade's DSI" late at night or when Cade is outside. I knew we had a problem when Rob was out of town a few weekends ago and Cade ran in screaming, "mommy, call daddy! Call daddy! I just caught a very rare pokemon and he's going to be so happy!"

Anyway, I knew Rob remembered it was my birthday because before bed last night we chatted about how he'd like to take me out to eat and such. this morning for some unknown reason, our alarm clock that has gone off at 6:45 every morning for the past 10 years didn't go off this morning. I sensed a problem when I woke up to the sun out the window. We looked at the clock and it was 7:30. Rob has to be at work at 7:45. He flew into the shower, gave me a quick kiss, and ran out the door. In my head I thought, "he's just in such a rush that he forgot to say happy birthday. he'll text or call as soon as he realizes he forgot!" Then, the door reopens and he shouts, "Mandy! One more thing... (i'm assuming it's going to be Happy Birthday!") don't let Cade save over that Pokemon game we saved last night until I get home!" door closes.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????? he remembered pokemon, but not his wife's birthday!!!!! for the love of all things pokemon!!!!

update to forgotten birthday post...he called mid morning super apologetic saying, "i'm so sorry! I was in such a rush I forgot to tell you happy birthday! Let me take you out to dinner tonight. Where do you want to go?" But don't think for a second I let him get off the phone without me rubbing his nose in the fact that her remembered Pikachu this morning, but not me!
Love you, punkin!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great post! Gran could have a number of similar stories that I wouldn't necessarily want to see in print. Hope the dinner was great and the Pokemon community sleeps well tonight.