We have a super sweet photographer friend who does yearly pictures of our family. She is awesome. Her blog is here http://www.leeannritchblog.blogspot.com/. We had a photo shoot scheduled for the last weekend in November. But our sweet photographer has a small baby, a toddler, and was moving that weekend so we had to reschedule. Because she's super busy we had to move it to December 19th, which is great! We're just glad to have her. BUT, I was planning on using those photos for our Christmas cards and I had to change the plan a bit.
So, one day a couple of weeks ago it was a pretty day, we had no after school plans, and Rob had to work late. So very impromptu I decided we'd try a Christmas photo shoot. The kids who were big enough to revolt did! You'd have thought I'd asked Cade to scrub the toliet with his toothbrush while dancing the polka. He totally freaked! Cora agreed at first until she figured out that this meant that she'd have to remove her lightly faded, out of date, hand me down, flare bottomed jeans that show her fanny crack like a plumber when she bends over. She would also be changing her turquoise, bedazzled, too tight, "teenager" t-shirt and trading them both in for a red courdroy dress with an ivory color and waist sash. How dare I make her wear something "ugly and babyish!" (God, please help me when she's 13!) So by the time everyone had compromised (ie, dress minus tights and shoes, Christmas sweater thrown over the top of play clothes) I was WAY too warn out to make them go anywhere scenic. And I was pretty sure we only had minutes of daylight left. So surprisingly, I did get some good shots, but the process was gruling!
I can't reveal "the picture" because I don't want to spoil your cards, but what I want people to say when they look at the pictures and the actual wordage going on during the shoot are probably about as different as a brothel and a church! For real friends, when this shoot was over I needed a stiff drink.
Here's what we got!
the goal for the shot: a tree shot photo from a bird's eye view angle with the pretty trees and leaves in the background
I am NOT going to get on my knees in the back no matter what you say! Everyone will be able to see this stupid train on my sweater and if you send it to my friends they'll probably tease me until I'm a senior citizen!"
The goal: a garola stack (sitting inside one another's legs biggest to smallest) cute,right?
actual: Clara, if you crawl away again I'm withholding your bottle!!! Cora, squeeze your sister tighter!!! Cora!!! What are you looking at, get your eyes on this camera NOW just in case the baby looks. (added with mama making barking noises in between shouting out orders in an effort to get a smile from Clara)
the goal: a sweet brother sister shot. Clara really did crawl away and if I couldn't get a shot of all three I need a 2 photo card back up plan.
"well, i guess you better yell good night to them because you're wasting daylight complaining. SMILE AND ACT LIKE YOU LIKE EACH OTHER!"
*sputter, sputter "Cade's choking me!"
the goal: a pile of cuties
OK, but this is the LAST one and I'm done!
oh no! you're not done until I get a good one!!!
Clara thinks Cade's head is a drum!
OUCH!!! She's pulling my hair!
Clara, don't eat your brother!
It was truly a painful nightmare for all of us! Why do I subject my kids and myself to these things? Will this be the threatening/ bribing mommy they remember forever? The one always focusing on "getting the shot" and not the well being of the children involved?? I appreciate you more than you'll ever know, LeeAnn Ritch!
for what it's worth, i got the shot!
what a way to celebrate the birth of the Lord!
2 comments:
dying laughing here!!!! btw - cute pics ;)
soooo funny! i can hear your squeaky giggles as you read this in 10 years :)
Post a Comment