Tuesday, June 1, 2010

2nd Day of Summer!

So today is officially only our 2nd day of summer, meaning the 2nd day after school is out with mom + 3 - dad. Rob still has 3 more weeks of school and then he's coaching a summer ball team, but his schedule will be more open. Which is very good news to me. When I thought of summer I envisioned picnics, pool, and beach with my 3 sweet kiddos. I didn't envision taking all 3 of them to run errands and go to the grocery store which is what today entailed. It wasn't that much fun at all, for any of us! Cade had swim practice then we went straight to Publix. Our first problem was carts...they don't have the ones with the double seater in the front and Cora wanted a drivable top car, but there was no place for Clara's carrier. (temper tantrum #1 before entering the bldg) Clara's carrier went in front, Cora went in back, and Cade was "my assistant." Cade begged for every sugary junk filled thing he saw, touched everything, and complained that "sticking to the list" was no fun at all. I was continually nagging him to stay out of the way of the other shoppers and to stop bugging his sister. Cora was cold in the cheese section and needed her Bay Too (blanket) ( temper tantrum #2). Everytime Cade put something in the cart for me it somehow managed to bump or hit Cora in a way that was unacceptable to her (temper tantrums #3, 4, and 5). Finally Cora was forced by the number of groceries to join her brother as my "other helper." I continued to coax them through the store smiling and nagging as I really wanted to grab them both and spank them. (i'm sweet aren't i?) I picked up the pace and Cora's shoe fell off and she fell down (temper tantrum #6). Then my favorite part...Cade and Cora were hugging by a refrigerated section as I reached around an older woman to grab yogurts (did you know you can ALWAYS find coupons for yogurt!).
As I noticed them embracing I said, "oh now that's sweet! I love when you treat each other like that!" Cade quickly replied, "oh I would normally never do that, but I'm still wet and I'm just really really really cold!" Cora said, "stop saying everything like a jerk!" The woman busted out laughing and I had to join her.

There are a few benefits to having the kids in school!

1 comment:

Mandi Gunn said...

Oh I remember those days!! My friends would think that I were crazy for taking 3 kids to the grocery store but what was I supposed to do with them? I didn't have the luxury of leaving them at home with a babysitter all the time! Do you have a Baby Bjorn? I would put my third in the baby bjorn and my middle child in the front part of the buggy and make the oldest my "helper!" It killed my back but it was worth not hearing the temper tantrums!