Well, we went to the clinic for two new drugs on Monday. One of them is really toxic so Cora had to have plenty of fluids through her port before and after. She did really well! She was in great spirits. She was a little mad that she had to skip breakfast, but right after she woke up from her lumbar puncture, she had a snack and was fine. I wasn't sure how she'd feel after these new drugs, but she has done fine. She still has a GREAT appetite and isn't too nauseated as long as I give her medicine to prevent it. The most traumatic thing this week has been the injections. She has to have a drug 4 days in a row this week and 4 days in a row next week. On the 2 Mondays they can give it to her through her port at clinic. The other 3 days we had two options:
Option 1 was to go to clinic each day, leave the port accessed, and get it there. I had two problems with this option. First of all, clinic is never quick! I mean we LOVE them dearly, but she has to get checked in, weighed, BP, temp, and then they call the pharmacy to order the meds, and it ends up taking at least 2 hours. We would have been there all week! Secondly, I didn't like the idea of her port being accessed for 4 days. She can get infections easily and cannot bathe. Option 2 was for me to give her the medication at home as an injection, we talked to doctors and nurses about it and decided this would be the best option. I figured maybe I could do it real quick like right after she'd fallen asleep and it wouldn't be to traumatic! I could not have been more wrong! A nurse from an infusion company delivered the medication yesterday and needed me to do the first injection while she was there. It was 1:30 and Cora had just gone down for a nap. So up she gets, mommy has to get all gloved up, cleans the area, gets band-aids ready, opens the sharps container for disposal, etc. before administering the chemo shot. Needless to say, Cora knew exactly what was about to happen. She was so upset! And today it was worse. She really knew what to expect today and the minute she saw the blue gloves she started yelling for daddy! Poor thing, just when you think home is the place you are safe from pricks and pain...mommy becomes the bad guy! Luckily, we only have one more day of it this week! I hope it will get easier next week, but I am not holding my breath! All things considered, she is doing fine and feeling good!
3 comments:
mandy... you are so brave! im not sure that i could do that. my class still asks about her everyday and prays for her constantly! we love you guys!!
Mandy- my heart aches for you and Cora. I know those shots are not easy for either of you! Just remember, you are NOT the bad guy, no matter how bad you might feel like it sometimes! You are helping to make her better! What an amazing example you are of an amazing mother-- just doing what's gotta be done! I hope you have a great Mother's Day- you deserve it!
ugh! that is terrible. it just makes me angry on your behalf. moms should not have to give their babies shots:( cora is getting such great love and care from you, mandy! i am hopeful this is all a fuzzy memory for all of you soon.
Post a Comment