Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Baby Update

I went back to the doctor this week and had this crazy realization that this baby is coming...FAST!!! We scheduled my c-section (both my others were c-sections so it didn't leave much option for this time) for February 5th! That is exactly one month from today! So I am spending my last few weeks before baby getting my house ready. At the rate I've been working and the length of my to do list you'd think the world was ending on February 5th! So we're getting excited!

I had a conversation with a friend the other day and she asked me, "so the baby's good?" I replied with something like, "yep, I have one more ultrasoud and then the c-section will be on Feb. 5th."
She then asked me again, "no but the baby's good, right?" And then it hit me. She wasn't asking me if the baby was "good." She was asking me if there was a chance that the baby could have leukemia. The minute I caught on I gave her all the details so I thought I'd share them here just in case anyone was wondering. Here's the thing... cancer sometimes follows a genetic line in families. Some types of cancer are more genetic than others (ie breast cancer, prostate cancer). And on my side of the family there have been some types of cancer surface. However, no one in our families as far back as we know has had childhood leukemia. In fact when Cora was first diagnosed Rob asked the oncologist if there was a chance it was genetic and that if we had another child, if they would get it. The oncologist replied with a resounding "NO!" He said that one in one hundred thousand children get some type of childhood cancer and those statistics do not increase once you've had one child diagnosed. Therefore this baby's chance of having ALL is the same as Cade's or Cora's or mine or yours. I can't say it won't happen again, but cancer is a mystery. Why it happens at all is baffling to me. Why one's body can all of a sudden produce one cancer cell that will quickly take over is uncomprehendable! We can't live our lives banking on things going wrong. It would make us crazy! So will we pray for this baby's health 1000 times a day? certainly. But are we going to live in fear and expectation of something going wrong? absolutely not! We are just so thankful to have this sweet baby girl joining our family and COMPLETING IT! She's the grand finale!!!