Friday, April 10, 2009

Smile, You're On Candid Camera!

That's what I wish someone would pop out and say to me right now. The Garola's have never been a sickly bunch, just an occasional ear infection or cold. 2009 has not been good. This morning around 1:30 am Cora appears in our bedroom. She says, "I don't feel good." and then throws up all over the floor. I thought, OK too much medicine, too much chemo, nausea. Took her back to bed and laid with her. In the next hour she threw up 4 times and I put her in the bathtub at 2:30. After a sheet change and pj change, she fell back asleep and I fell asleep on her floor. At 3:30 I am awoken by cries from Cade's room. He is sitting in his bed and has thrown up all over the place. He was assigned to daddy just in case his sickness was different from Cora (to keep her from getting his) and this throwing up continued for both of them until about 7am. By morning, Cora was totally dehydrated and could not keep down a drop of water. She was lethargic and had huge bags under her eyes, so...Yep, you guessed it, I called the clinic at 8. Of course they wanted to see her. The good news was that no one had a fever. Cade slowly recovered and I took Cora in. They gave her Zofran through her port along with giant amounts of fluid. 4 hours later, I left with a happy, smiling girl! This dehydration thing is becoming a real issue. I jokingly asked Dr. Whittle if I could take an infusion machine home with me and just give her fluid. He seriously said, "if it becomes a continual problem." So once again, it could be worse. My fear was being admitted to the hospital for the weekend. But we are home. Just pray that the girl will eat and drink and keep it down! I hope not to see the doctors again before Monday! That was either a very quick little bug or bad fruit smoothies yesterday (that's the only thing the same that they ate). Oh, BTW, daddy had his follow up appointment after two weeks of heart monitoring and it's really nothing. He has a mild arrhythmia. It's called something atrial or something like that, but the good news is it is super common and not dangerous at all. It's not even a precursor to anything dangerous. Phew! Now I am off to continue washing everything! I hope to post something positive next! I am starting to feel like a drama queen!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh man! Having one puking child is bad enough, without having 2! I hope everyone is better and able to enjoy this weekend! Can't wait to see Easter pix of your family!

Susan said...

You guys can't seem to catch a break! Hopefully the weekend will be an uneventful one. you guys are in our thoughts and prayers. Happy Easter!

ginaburch said...

this is the absolute worst!!! i am so proud of you for keeping your sense of humor. laugh or cry, right? :)