Yahoo! Clinic today was so smooth! Her ANC was 2080 which is up from last week and we were able to get chemo. She received the same two medications that she received 10 days ago, Methotrexate and Vincristine. She had a bit of an issue with muscle weakness and leg pain the first few days after the Vincristine last time. I spoke with the doctor about it and he said as long as the falling down and leg pain subsided after the three days or so he wasn't super concerned. He really doesn't want to reduce the dosage unless things are really bad, so he said to just be aware of it the first few days and watch her carefully. He also changed her anti-nausea medicine to Zofran. Before she was on Phenergan and it is green, tastes nasty, and makes her incredibly tired. Many times the taste was so bad she would throw up the anti-nausea medicine which would completely defeat the purpose. I am not sure why they would make an anti-nausea med taste, smell, and look nasty. We are hoping the Zofran will be better. We actually have to go back on Friday morning at 9:00 just for a double injection of Peg Asparagenaise in both thighs. Quick, but no fun at all! She screams! I hate it!
Since Cora has been on chemo her sense of smell is incredible. I really think the police should switch from drug dogs to chemo patients to do their smell work! She sometimes doesn't even want to eat in the kitchen because of the smells. Cora has a bad habit of waking up very early, but no matter how early it is, I have to brush my teeth before I go in and get her. Otherwise, I get this, "(sniff, sniff), Mama, I smell something yucky!" This morning I had just finished running the dishwasher in the kitchen and I stood there smelling nothing. Cora marches in and says, "What's that nasty fire smell." I told her there was no fire smell, but she was insistent and wanted me to open the dishwasher. I opened it to find that a utensil with a rubber handle had fallen through and melted on the heating element at the bottom of the dishwasher. That girl smelled it from two rooms away! It's so weird!
6 comments:
Dear Mandy,
I've been following your blog through Google Reader. This way I'm always up to date with each post you publish. Your posts get delivered directly to my iGoogle page. The benefit is that I never miss a post - the drawback is that I never see your actual blog and therefore rarely comment. Today, for some reason, I decided to visit. Wow! Am I impressed! It's beautiful! I'm not sure what impresses me more - your ability to keep so many loved ones informed with Cora's progress through your blog - or - the beautiful colors of your template. You've managed to turn such a stressful, and scary part of your life into an Internet oasis that reaches and comforts so many people. You are an amazing mom - an amazing woman - a leukemia warrior!! Hugs to you!
sweet girl:) i had the smell thing with pregnancy and zofran is a miracle drug!!!
Don't you just love kids? They tell it how it is. I know Tessa is going to have the sassy attitude you say Cora has. She's already giving it to me. Lord have mercy!
Mandy,
If the Zofran doesn't do the trick, ask your doc about Phenergen in suppository form. It's kinda gross and she might not like it, but it's better than throwing up the nasty tasting stuff.
I know what you mean with the smell thing. I have a sensitive sense of smell normally, but when I was pregnant it was out of control. I could not be NEAR tunafish and of course, one of my coworkers insisted on eating that or sardines at lunch. ICK.
Mandy,
SO HAPPY for this update! My class has been praying diligently for Cora to get better so she can get her medicine. The kids were cheering so loud when I told them the good news! I hope that her new meds do the trick and don't make her feel yucky! Keep us posted!! We love you guys and pray for all of you EVERYDAY!!!!
-Mrs. Peavley's Class
Yipee! How wonderful to see Cora's counts so high!
Post a Comment