Monday, December 1, 2008

Monday Marathon!

Today we dropped Cade at school at 8:25 and headed straight to the clinic at Backus. We arrived at 8:45 and did not get home until around 5:30 this evening! Today was exhausting!!! They first checked her blood counts. Her platelet count had gone up on it's own without transfusion since last Monday (yah!) Her white blood cell count has gone up a little on it's own since last Monday (yah!). But her hemoglobin has dropped slightly from 7.6 to 7.2, so she needed a blood transfusion (not yah!) So the blood was ordered around 9:30 from the blood bank. And we waited...and waited... and read... and watched videos... and waited... and Cora couldn't eat anything because she had a procedure scheduled for 12:00 so she begged and begged for chicken tenders and french fries as we waited.. and waited...and waited. At 12:30 we still had no procedure and no blood. But we had a very hungry and very fussy girl!!! I was promising chicken and fries as soon as the procedure was over. So finally at 12:45 we had the procedure and the doctor was able to get liquid bone marrow for the first time (yah!). But mommy was stressing because we were still going to have to wait for the blood once the procedure was over and she had promised the girl chicken and fries! So I finally found a neighbor to run and get chicken and fries and she saved the day and brought it to us just in time! (Thanks so much, Jennifer!) Cora woke up (I am telling you there are not sedation drugs strong enough to keep her down for long!) and ate her lunch and mommy's too! They started running her transfusion around 1:30 and we didn't leave the clinic until 5:00! It is unbelieveably frustrating how long things take! Cora gets so antsy and bored as do I, but really she was so good! We won't know the results of the bone marrow biopsy until late tomorrow or early Wednesday, but from her blood counts I am optomistic. We are REALLY HOPING FOR REMISSION!!!!!!!!! I will post as soon as we know something! Thanks for the sweet comments, cards, phone calls, and gifts! It feels as though Christmas has already come early for the Garola children! Santa is going to have a run for his money if all of our friends don't stop spoiling the kids so much! Love to all!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm sorry about your long day, but what a relief to have such positive results thus far! I think of you often and we continue to pray for Cora and for the entire family!

Susan said...

Cora,
As soon as you feel better, call me and I will bring you all the chicken fingers and fries that you want missy.
We love you.
Ms. Susan and Bev