Saturday, December 22, 2012

Chicken Love

OK so chicken world is going well.  We weren't sure for awhile.  We had lots of escapees, a casualty, only one egg layer, then no egg layers, then time change drama, but I by-golly, I think we've got it now!

Hello from Dixie, our Buff Orpington and #1 egg layer.  She rocks! Only problem is she refuses to lay her eggs in the nesting box.  She lays them in the bottom of the coop! Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, right Dix?

Hi there, Minnie!  Minnie has perfect chicken manners. She like people, always goes in the coop when asked, and never jumps the fence!  She's the leader of the pack! 

Chicken sisters!

I'm not sure how people had chickens before the Internet. It's our best troubleshooting tool.  Our first egg laying girl stopped laying when the time changed.  Weeks went buy without even one egg.  Finally I got online and discovered that chickens need 12-13 hours of light per day to lay.  It also suggested enhancing their diet with special egg laying feed.

So we pulled out Rob's huge old hooded light from the shed and a giant extension cord.  Our backyard looks fairly redneckish with the extension cord permanently draped across it, but WE HAVE EGGS!  And lots of them.  We turn the light on when it's dark outside and it gives the girls heat and light.  They're all 3 laying now and we get three eggs every single day.  Finally, they're worth the work!

A tip from Clara...Change out of your church dress before you play with chickens or this may happen!

These things are so furry, it's hard to tell top from bottom!

1 comment:

erik and kristi said...

I'm so jealous of your chickens!!