Sunday, July 19, 2009

Vacation Top 10






We just got back from a week of fun in Florida. We went to St. Augustine, Miami, and The Keys in that order! We had a ball! This was our first family vacation for just the 4 of us, planned by us, and executed all on our own! It's funny how you can hang out with your family day in and day out and then learn completely new things about one another when you change the setting. Here are the 10 things I learned on vacation!

#1 - My husband amazes me! He is so great at managing our money and using it on the things we need and skipping the things we don't. He did an awesome job at planning this vacation on a budget!!!

#2 - You can only spend a few nights at a time in a hotel with children without going insane or driving those in rooms around you insane.

#3 - Cade loves history. He doesn't love everything that is educational, but he has always been so enthralled with places, times, and lifestyles in the past. Our first stop at The Fort of San Marco in St. Augustine was perfect for him. Personally, I was bored to tears (you've seen one fort, you've seen 'em all) but he LOVED it so much he and Rob went back twice!

#4 - Cora loves to eat out! She never tires of it and after each stop when we asked her what her favorite thing was she said "going out to eat."

#5 - Hotel beds are apparently made for one purpose-- JUMPING!

#6 - I have a real problem with fearing for my children's lives in any given situation. I am not sure if all mom's have this or not, but I will say mine seems to be really severe. It almost hinders me from having fun in certain situations. I just can't let go. Here are some examples from this past week. Cade falling of the top of the fort, Cade and Cora falling off the walkway through the rails and into the ocean, Either of them getting run over in a parking lot, Either of them drowning, Cade snorkeling around rocks where a small yet deadly sea creature is lurking and it lurches out for him, Either of them getting snatched by a maniac at the very crowded Miami Sea Aquarium, Either of them falling off the top of the historic Bahia Honda bridge in Big Pine Key, etc, etc....you get the idea, the list goes on and on! What are the true odds of any of these things happening??? But seriously, my three year old has cancer, the odds don't always seem to stack up in our favor!

#7 - Cora wants to be the lady that rides on the killer whale's nose when she grows up!

#8 - Cade loves anything fast paced! He loved riding the metro in Miami, wanted to be the wettest one in the audience in each show at the sea aquarium, and wanted to jump or swing off anything that would allow it! If only I could grow a banyan tree in my backyard. He'd never be bored!

#9 - The fishing really is better the further south you go. My poor husband is misplaced in Savannah. He LOVES to fish!

#10 - Cade will never be a transvestite after the look on his face after his first glimpse of some in Key West. He didn't even have any words!!! The look was priceless!

4 comments:

Susan said...

Mandy--
I'm afraid I share your neurotic (can I say that?) fears. I am constantly worrying...to the point where I sometimes do forget to have fun. That is why we have these incredibly laid back husbands...to keep us sane (and to sometimes drive us crazy because they NEVER SEEM TO WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING!)

Amy said...

Can't say it any better than Totally Tessa! ha MUST. HAVE. BALANCE.
So glad you guys got to go away for a while!

Anonymous said...

Mandy, I was the same worrying about you, Lauren & Russ as you are now. I think that it is very common. Love, Mom

Tara Justice said...

love your top 10. esp the last one about cade not being a transvestite. ha!! glad you all had a great time :)