Monday, March 23, 2009

When It Rains, It Pours!!!




It is pouring at the Garola house! But we are just putting one foot in front of the other, and actually we have to laugh cause if we don't we'll cry! Here's the latest...this time, it's not Cora (thank God!) Last Wednesday night I woke up at 2:30 am to Rob talking to his dad on the phone and pacing! His palms were sweaty, he was pale, and he felt like his heart was skipping beats or about to beat out of his chest!!! He was sorta freaking out. He thought he was having a heart attack, but no chest pain! He hadn't been able to sleep all night and the heart thing had him nervous, so at 2:45 he drove himself to the ER after his dad's advice to go. I felt like the worse wife ever just letting him drive himself, but he didn't want to wait on me getting hold of someone to come over at 2:30 am! Long story short, the doc did all sorts of tests to find nothing really wrong. Which usually means a pretty profound panic attack. As a precaution he followed up with his doctor and ran tests and he is wearing a heart monitor for 2 weeks just to be sure it was nothing more! He feels much better now and we are pretty sure it was probably nothing.

THEN...(hold on it gets better!) on Sunday we went for a bike ride and played at the playground for what seemed like hours. We got home and Cade said, "Mommy, my leg feels like I'm wearing a boot." I pulled his pants leg up to find that he had an insect bite with clear liquid coming out of it and his entire lower leg, ankle, and foot were hot to the touch and totally swollen. I said, "Yikes Cade, your whole leg is swollen!" Which was the WRONG thing to say because then the drama started to ensue! He was crying, whining, and hopping all over the house all night last night. We thought he had been bit by a spider and assured him it would be better by morning! It wasn't! It was still swollen, hot, and red this morning so I took him to the pediatrician to find out what type of strange insect had done this! WRONG AGAIN!!! Dr. Stone took one look and said, "This was NOT from an insect bite, it may have started out that way, but his leg has an infection." He said he wasn't sure if it was a strep infection or a staph infection or what but he treated it as staph!!! HOW IN THE HECK DID HE GET STAPH LIVING IN A HOUSE THAT IS FILLED WITH CLOROX WIPES, LYSOL, AND BOTTLES OF FOAM SANITIZER? When Cade gets in the car after school I treat him as though he has just left an infectious disease center! OH THE IRONY! So...Dr. Stone gave him 2 shots and 3 antibiotics and wants to see him again first thing tomorrow morning just to check on him! He said after all these meds he should be fine and back to school tomorrow or Wednesday. Of course our concern was Cora, but as long as they aren't bathing together (which they're NOT) and she doesn't touch Cade's wound, she should be fine! When I told Rob I seriously thought this may trigger a panic attack, but after the initial shock we both just had to laugh! Thankfully, my parents are visiting right now and have been helping out at what feels like it's turning into an infirmary! Tomorrow Cora has to be at the clinic at 9 am and Cade's pediatrician appointment it directly across the street at 9:30 so Gran, Pop, and I will have to divide and conquer! PLEASE DON'T BE AFRAID TO COME NEAR US, WE WON'T SHARE ANY DISEASES WITH YOU! All the patients are following doctor's orders, and I AM TAKING MY VITAMINS! I WON'T BE NEXT!

3 comments:

Angie Briotta said...

Hang in there, Garolas! We're thinking of you often and sending positive thoughts of encouragement your way.
Big Hugs,
Angie

Amy said...

I hope the sun is starting to peak through the clouds!! Man, what a load for you to carry. I too am so thankful your parents are there to help! Keep us posted on your boys!

Anonymous said...

wow, mandy! that is some crazy stuff. hopefully there is a rainbow at the end of all this rain :)