Thursday, March 12, 2009

CADE


Sometimes when I look at those precious brown eyes it breaks my heart. I am sure every mom feels like this about their kids, but lately, I feel like this more than ever with him. It's sorta crazy, I can talk about Cora's treatment, side effects, drugs, behavior, everything without even thinking twice about it. Then the minute that someone asks me, "How is Cade?" I can feel the tears welling up. Cade is so sweet, so well intentioned, and such a pleaser. Ever since Cora's diagnosis, I truly worry about him. Cora is getting tons of attention, gifts, and cards (rightfully so!). And I really feel like she is doing great. Cade on the other hand has taken a total back seat to his little sister. At home we try very hard to give him special time, attention, and gifts (when necessary). But the second we go out anywhere it starts...The questions, "How's Cora?, We're praying for Cora. Oh look, It's Cora!" It's sorta like she's a celebrity. I love that people care so much for us and the intentions are so great. But I know Cade has to get sick of people saying, "How's your sister?" The minute they see him. He answers sweetly, but sometimes I can just see the eye roll or quick change of subject. I have noticed small changes in things that he does such as looking for sympathy over everything and a bit of a decrease in his self confidence. If I were him I would just feel like screaming, "WHAT ABOUT ME? WHAT ABOUT HOW AM I?" But he doesn't. We are so lucky to have such a perfectly sweet boy! I am probably reading way more into this than I should, because that's what mom's do is worry, but please pray for Cade too! And next time you see Cade please ask how he's doing (for mommy's sake!) :) Both of our kids are so special and we feel like we are the luckiest parents ever!

4 comments:

Amy said...

That is such a sweet picture of Cade!! I know God made Cade the perfect big brother for Cora, and no matter the bumps in the road, all of this will help him become the strong Godly man God wants him to be! I hope, this week especially, he will feel an extra measure of love and concern for him!!

Anonymous said...

Personally we've had nothing that compares to what your family is going through but I think Cade will be stronger when this is all said and done. His love for his sister will undoubtedly be deeper and stronger-even as young as he is-and once it is all past and everything gets somewhat back to normal...he will shine again. And the pics...they are really precious! from a web lurker:
Patricia, Garden City

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're reading to much into it...I think it shows just how amazing of a mother you are :) Sending our love to your family!!

Anonymous said...

I will pray for Cade this week. I understand how you feel as a Mom! He is such a handsome little man. :-)